Santa Fe South Express

• Summer Break starts June 1st

Lovelace From a Saint to a Lynx

Congratulations to our very own Melea Lovelace on her signing!

Melea has been playing basketball since 6th grade here at Santa Fe South, but now she will have the opportunity to play at the college level. On Wednesday, March 6th-National Signing Day, Melea signed a 4-year, $11,000 basketball scholarship with Lindenwood University in Saint Charles, Missouri, making her Santa Fe South’s first female student to receive a scholarship from an out-of-state school. She plans on studying finance and accounting there. When asked about what thing or person has given her the motivation to aspire big things such as this, she replied, “My mother motivates me to play and live out my dreams.” She then continued by saying, “I watched her struggle everyday of my life. It’s my turn to give back to her.”

During the signing, there were clear signs of an emotional feel to the atmosphere. Friends, peers, and teammates were gathered around to watch and congratulate her at the event. Words of both encouragement and love were among their many chants and applause. The first to speak on Melea’s achievement was Mr. Brewster, Santa Fe South’s very own superintendent and principal. He congratulated Melea on her big day, thanked her for being able to put Santa Fe South on a national level as well as for opening the doors to opportunities for other students who aspire the same thing. There were also those who were struck with heart-felt emotions such as the Saints basketball coach, Carlos Coppage, who was unable to hold back his feelings of happiness. He went on to say, “I knew that if anyone was to be able to do this, it would’ve been her.” Her mother, Ms. Blenda Lovelace, was also tremendously affected going on to say, “I’m just so proud of my daughter.” To conclude the ceremony, there was a final speech from Melea where she said, “I planted my seed here at Santa Fe South and will be waiting to watch all the rest of my fellow Saints bloom.”

On behalf of everyone here at SFS, we would like to congratulate Melea again and wish her both prosperity and happiness in her upcoming future.