Santa Fe South Express

Santa Fe South Football Recognition

Damian Quinones, Sports Reporter

Seniors that played with the Southeast Spartans got recognition and awards from the 5A district. They were each interviewed and answered just a few simple questions about their achievements:

Michael Reyes- Defensive Linebacker Of the Year:

“My favorite memory from football was playing for the Santa Fe South football team though the team does not exist anymore, when I played for Southeast, I loved watching my friends make big plays. My most embarrassing moment of high school is when the football team and I tried to steal Grant’s cannon for a rivalry game. While, we were in the progress of loading the cannon, an armada of police cars showed up and in my attempt to run, I looked at the rest of the football team and they were running into light. I ran into the dark and while I was running away into the dark I glanced away to see if the police officers saw me, when I looked back a tree sat right in my path and I ran into and through the tree. After high school, I plan on going to OU to earn a bachelors degree in entrepreneurship and sports management. After earning my degree, I want to open up my own boxing gym to help get kids off the street, out of gangs and drugs and into the gym.”

Pedro Castro, Johnathan Herrera, Erick Olivas- Defensive Linemen Of the Year:

Pedro Castro- “My favorite memory from football is playing with all my brothers like my boy, Johnathan Herrera and Mike Reyes, and the rest of the team. My most embarrassing moment was my freshman year, when I came to school in suit and tie for team pictures. When I graduate, I plan to either go into law enforcement or go into the Air Force as a firefighter.”

Johnathan Herrera- “My favorite memory from football is getting to be part of a family. Everyone helped everyone out. They helped me get a TD (touchdown). The most embarrassing moment of high school is trying to steal Grants cannon and getting caught. My plans after high school is joining the Air Force and walk on to University to play on the next level.”

Erick Olivas- “My favorite memory of high school was was going to football practice putting in hard work with my friends, my family. My most embarrassing moment was when I was in a game I got cracked by the other teams running back. The dude was like 300 pounds. When I graduate, I plan on going into the Marines and after that I want to start up multiple businesses.”