Santa Fe South Express

SFS Alumni Staff

Leslie Cisneros, Reporter

Ever asked teachers about what high school they went to? Santa Fe South has a few alumni who are now teaching at SFS. Some have been here for years and others just got started! We interviewed a couple of them to give you a little insight about their high school career. These are only a few of them, so don’t hesitate to ask around for more information!

Name: Mrs. Maria Renova (Attendance Clerk)

Year of Graduation:  Class of 2008

1. What are a couple of differences that you’ve noticed since you were in high school? “There is definitely more technology available to students! (cellphones, laptops, tv’s)”
  2. How is it still, in some ways, similar? “The dress code!”
  3. Who was your teacher, in your current position, when you were in school? “Mrs. Janet Cartmill was the secretary & Brittney.”
  4. What were you involved in? Any sports? Clubs? “I was in volleyball for two years. I was in yearbook and soccer for one year.”
  5. Would you have liked to attend 2018 Santa Fe South or would you not change the building you went to? “No! I’m happy I’m done with high school. Kids are savage.

Name: Ms. Lily Ramirez 

Year of Graduation: Class of 2009

1. What are a couple of differences that you’ve noticed since you were in high school? “We are now more organized and professional. We also have more kids yes def more kids lol.”
  2. How is it still, in some ways, similar? “Teachers and staff still care about the kids.”
  3. Who was your teacher, in your current position, when you were in school? “Mr. Vangilder, principal secretary, 2008-2009 school year.”
  4. What were you involved in? Any sports? Clubs? “No, I was a newbie, I moved to SFS my senior year.”
  5. Would you have liked to attend 2018 Santa Fe South or would you not change the building you went to? “I like how our school is growing but I do miss how close we all used to be not only as students, but now as staff.” 

Name: Mrs. Kim Balderas (Computers)

Year of Graduation: Class of 2008

1. What are a couple of differences that you’ve noticed since you were in high school? “Students have more access to technology. We’d get suspended if we were caught with our phone.”
  2. How is it still, in some ways, similar? “Polos are the same.”
  3. Who was your teacher, in your current position, when you were in school? “Mrs. Walters was my computer teacher when I was in high school.”
  4. What were you involved in? Any sports? Clubs? “I played volleyball, basketball, soccer, and softball. I was also in yearbook and leadership.
  5. Would you have liked to attend 2018 Santa Fe South or would you not change the building you went to? “The old high school had more of a tight knit community and everyone knew everybody.”

Name: Mr. Aaron Ibarra (U.S History)

Year of Graduation: Class of 2013

1. What are a couple of differences that you’ve noticed since you were in high school? “The way the students act. The way the students dress.”
  2. How is it still, in some ways, similar? “The overall philosophy is still the same. People “teachers/admin” care about the students.”
  3. Who was your teacher, in your current position, when you were in school? “Mrs. Shoaf”
  4. What were you involved in? Any sports? Clubs? “I was involved in baseball.”
  5. Would you have liked to attend 2018 Santa Fe South or would you not change the building you went to? “I would have liked to have been at this new school. It’s nice and better than the old one!!” 

About the Writer
Leslie Cisneros, A&E Reporter

Leslie Cisneros has attended SFS since fourth grade and is now a Senior. She was born in Mexico, but raised in Oklahoma. She has played volleyball since her freshman year. She loves dogs and even has one of her own named Roxy. Her hobbies include staying in, watching movies, and playing with her dog. She loves spending time with her family and friends. She’s also shy at first, but once you get to know her, she’s really chill.