Santa Fe South Express

• Summer Break starts June 1st

A Deep Dive into the Art World

This is Iliana Barrientos, she is currently a junior here at SFS and she is a young artist.

It all started when she was able to pick up a pencil. Iliana chose art for a reason, she loves the idea of something not existing until you make it exist. She said, “That it’s also the feeling you get when you connect with people you never knew about. You can always look at an image and almost feel exactly what the artist felt without having to use words.”

Iliana has been into art for as long as she could remember. As a kid, she would draw to help her visualize a story. Growing up and entering high school, she decided that she needed to focus on her grades and only do art for fun. But eventually, she found her way back to her sketchbook realizing that art wasn’t just something she enjoyed doing for fun nor was it a hobby, that it was a part of who she was and a part of her identity, without art Iliana would be lost. Iliana was asked what her favorite artwork that she created was and she responded with “every artwork I produce has a specific meaning or purpose so it’d be really hard to choose my favorite out of all. Recently I painted a forest using ink for the first time and if there’s an image I’d have to choose than it would be that one because for my first time trying ink, it came out pretty good.”

Iliana thinks that every artist is influenced by society. Society has allowed her to draw things some people don’t tend to imagine. Society has also given artists ideas for paintings to produce with different thoughts behind them or simply showing a vivid, detailed picture about things going on around the world. What Iliana dislikes about the art world is how misunderstood art can be. She said, “It’s not always about having a pretty picture to look at, it’s about the feeling and emotion you get out of it. Just like how Pablo Picasso once said,”There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun”.”

Iliana has plans to go to college, but not for art. She isn’t giving up on her art; she will continue to draw and paint and will wait for things to fall into place.  Although, Iliana isn’t pursuing a career in art, she isn’t closed minded about it. Whether her art opens doors for her or if it doesn’t she will continue to do what she loves.

Here is a slideshow of Iliana’s artwork: