Santa Fe South Express

Saints of the Month: November

Louis Torres- Freshman

Nominated by- Mr. Miller

Mr. Miller nominated Louis because “Louis has been a model student in both my Geography and Oklahoma History classes. He is eager to help others, contributes positivity, he also works and learns with a smile. Great attitude and work ethic. It’s a pleasure to have Louis as a student and he is a wonderful example of a SFS Saint.”

What is your favorite subject? “History”

Who is your favorite teacher? “Mr. Miller”

What college do you plan on going to? “St. Gregory University”

Who inspires you? Why? “No one, I don’t look up to anyone.”

Azucena Sonora- Freshmen

Nominated By-  Ms. McLanahan & Ms. O’Rourke

Ms. O’Rourke nominated her because “she is responsible, respectful, and all-around just a great Saint! She exemplifies so many of the values that we hope to see in our SFS students and exhibits multiple qualities of a good leader.”

What is your favorite subject? “Biology, because it grabs my attention.”

Who is your favorite teacher? “Mr. Littlejohn”

What college do you plan on going to? “OSU to be a Veterinarian.”

Who inspires you? Why? “People who inspire me are those who take risks or take time out of their day to save and change animal’s life.”

Andres Luz- Sophomore

Nominated by- Mr. Argot

Mr. Argot nominated Andres because “Andres=SFS Saint. Nice and humble but not a pushover, life of the party, but not trying to get attention. Smart and proves it in his work, but not a nerd. His charisma lights up a room, but knows when to let others shine. Encourages students and teachers. Athletic and active, but not annoyingly hyper. He is mature and wish we had more like him.”

What is your favorite subject? “Math is my favorite subject.”

Who is your favorite teacher? “Carter AKA Young Kobe”

What college do you plan on going to? “The University of Oklahoma”

Who inspires you? Why? “My mom inspires me because she works hard and sets an example for me everyday. She tells me to do better and I will.”

Tycia Britton- Sophomore

Nominated by- Ms. O’Rourke

Ms. O’Rourke nominated Tycia because “Tycia came into my class and immediately began setting an example in terms of her work ethic.  She always strives to go above and beyond and is a dedicated and hard-working student.”

What is your favorite subject? “English”

Who is your favorite teacher? “Mrs.Tully Edwards”

What college do you plan on going to? “OSU or LSU”

Who inspires you? Why? “My parents, Allyson Felix and Oprah Winfrey.”

Alex Uribe- Junior

Nominated by- Mr. Pugh

Mr. Pugh nominated Alex because “Alex showed great resilience at the beginning of the year by taking tests to get into concurrent classes. He stayed on top of his stuff and made sure to ask the right questions. He is doing well at OCCC and is an excellent example of a SFS Saint.”

What is your favorite subject? “Trig/Pre-calc and computers”

Who is your favorite teacher? “Mrs. Shoaf, Mrs. Balderas, Mr. Font, and Mrs. Moore”

What college do you plan on going to? “OU or MIT”

Who inspires you? Why? “My dad because he went through a lot of things and he succeeded. Also he worked hard to get me where I am at.”

Iliana Barrientos- Junior

Nominated by- Mrs. Maria

Mrs. Maria nominated Iliana because “Iliana goes above and beyond anytime I have given her a task. She’s pleasant, incredibly helpful, and always does a good job. Also because I love her”

What is your favorite subject? “Yearbook because I had the chance to meet many great people that I now hold dear and near my heart.”

Who is your favorite teacher? “Mr. Mills because he knows how to keep a topic interesting and understandable.”

What college do you plan on going to? “OSU to get my bachelors degree in Veterinary Science and then transfer to the University of Florida for my doctorate.”

Who inspires you? Why? “One of the greatest role models and inspirations is my father because no matter the circumstances he gives me unconditional support and he always told me to never give up even if the odds are against my favor. He also always told me,”the only place to go when you’re down is up”. ”

Edgar Lozano- Senior

Nominated by- Mr. Pugh

Mr. Pugh nominated Edgar because “Edgar showed great perseverance at the beginning of the year. His schedule had problems and he took steps to advocate for himself. He is top tier student who always does the right thing. He also has one of the best attitudes among our student body.”

What is your favorite subject? “My favorite subject in school is math.”

Who is your favorite teacher? “Mr. Pugh”

What college do you plan on going to? “I would like to attend the University of Oklahoma as my first choice.”

Who inspires you? Why? “The person who inspires me to do what I do everyday would be my mother because she believes in me and provides motivation.”

Kenya Rodriguez- Senior

Nominated by- Mr. Pugh

Mr. Pugh nominated Kenya because “Kenya is working super hard making all A’s and raising her GPA. Other students would have given up on the difficulties she has faced, but she is determined and continues to succeed. The best part, is that she does all of this with a smile on her face, because that’s the kind of person she is, and who I hope other students will look up to.”

What is your favorite subject? “Yearbook”

Who is your favorite teacher? “Furley”

What college do you plan on going to? “I plan on going to OSU-OKC to finish my basics, then transferring to UCO.”

Who inspires you? Why? “My mom and dad because at one point they had nothing. They’ve worked so hard for what we have today, and that inspires me to do the best of my ability.”  

About the Writers
Leslie Cisneros, A&E Reporter

Leslie Cisneros has attended SFS since fourth grade and is now a Senior. She was born in Mexico, but raised in Oklahoma. She has played volleyball since her freshman year. She loves dogs and even has one of her own named Roxy. Her hobbies include staying in, watching movies, and playing with her dog. She loves spending time with her family and friends. She’s also shy at first, but once you get to know her, she’s really chill.

Ariana Garcia, Senior Section

This will be Ariana Garcia’s ninth year at SFS and she has been at Santa Fe South since the third grade. She is 17 and a senior. This is going to be her third year managing Cross Country and Track. Ariana plans to attend the University of Central Oklahoma in the Fall of 2019 and double major in Criminal Justice/ Forensic Science. Growing up with two brothers and being the youngest has really influenced her interest in cars and mechanics.