The student news site of Santa Fe South High School

Santa Fe South Express

We Stand By DACA!

Itzel Dominguez, A&E Reporter

Stand By DACA

When Barack Obama was president, he made some very important life changes for the undocumented immigrants living in the United States. Obama passed a program called Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), that was created to help people who were undocumented, but to get the full benefits, they had to be under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012. This program helped students and whoever qualified to work and get a good education. Ever since June 15, 2012, about 800,000 people who have been calling the United States home, received DACA. It helped all those young people to pursue their passions and dreams. However, getting DACA wasn’t necessarily the easiest thing to do. You had to pass a long list of requirements such as school transcripts, medical records, religious records, and you had to prove that you had been living here since before you were 16, etc.

Unfortunately, President Trump has decided to end DACA. If you already have DACA, then you must renew it before March 5, 2018. If you didn’t already have DACA, then now, it is too late. When Trump decided to end DACA, a lot of people were very disappointed while others were happy he made this decision. We spoke to some people about their thoughts on Trump decision, and they were very disappointed. They believe that DACA should have never been taken away from those that only wanted to work and receive a better education.

We spoke to Mrs. Grant, a teacher at our high school, and she thinks this is all very unfortunate. She told us that many students have gone up to her and asked her many questions she could simply not answer. The majority of the questions were about what would happen to those that were affected, if they would still be able to attend college and whether or not the government would come looking for them. It breaks her heart that this happening, and she believes that there is very little we can do to help the situation until Congress makes a decision. She advises people to pressure Congress by sending letters and showing up to panels and vigils and by continuing to share our positive stories. The best advice she says she could give them is to continue working hard as they have, continue applying for college and continue sharing their stories. Mrs. Grant commented, “Our community is hurting right now because the future of many individuals is in jeopardy, and while I constantly advise our students to always put forth their best effort in everything they do, this is one situation where their efforts may or may not help. These students want to work hard, they want to go to college and give back to their community.” She feels like it’s her responsibility to serve as a voice and an advocate for them during this time of uncertainty because she knows they need it.

All we can truly do is do what Mrs. Grant says. It is very unfortunate for everyone who has relied on DACA. They were given the chance to work and go to college and that is all being taken away from them now. A student at Santa Fe South wished to remain anonymous said, “People who aren’t undocumented don’t understand how much this affects us. They have privileges we can never have. They don’t understand how this is going to ruin our dreams and goals, and it crushes my heart to even think about it.”

We stand by DACA!

1 Comment

One Response to “We Stand By DACA!”

1. Itzel on October 10th, 2017 11:40 am

Wow great article! Lol

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• NEWS

SFS News 14

• We Stand By DACA!

NEWS

Senior Capstone Project

• NEWS

SFS News 12

• We Stand By DACA!

NEWS

Meeting Mark Zuckerberg!

• We Stand By DACA!

NEWS

Blood Drive!

• We Stand By DACA!

NEWS

Teacher of the Year 2017-2018

• NEWS

SFS News 11

• NEWS

SFS News 10 (Season 1 Conclusion)

• We Stand By DACA!

NEWS

S.W.O.L.E Week!

• NEWS

SFS News 8

We Stand By DACA!