Santa Fe South Express

Coming Back to School

Kelly Ramirez, Reporter

This year at Santa Fe South is unlike any we’ve seen before. Many changes have been made like all the new faces, teachers, electives, classrooms, and of course a brand new building. The move to Plaza Mayor is a fresh start for our Saints.

One of our Saints, Lemuel Gonzalez, was asked to answer a few questions regarding how he felt about the Back to School Bash and all of new changes. He said, “I felt strange when I first arrived. As soon as I walked in, all I saw were new faces. It was as if I was the “new kid” even though I knew I was a senior. I walked over to find what classroom my team teacher was in.”  It reminded him of when he was just a freshman. Lemuel felt unusual due to the fact that he was so used to seeing people who he’s known since middle school, and then BOOM! Next thing he knew, there are unfamiliar faces everywhere he turns. He states that we should have been expanding a long time ago, but he also understands that our school didn’t have the money or the space for it back then. Overall, Lemuel was very happy to hear that we have more electives this year, for they provide more opportunities.

Laisa Chavez-Ramirez is a junior and a new student at Santa Fe South. She came from Capitol Hill High School. Here are some of her responses about our school. “I have been trying to come to SFS since middle school but I didn’t get accepted. As soon as I heard that the school was growing and that they were accepting more students, I knew right away to come and get an application. Everything is different from my former school, the way SFS is more of a family than just students attending schools. It’s like a bond that the teachers have with their students. The uniforms are way better here, and SFS is way less strict than my former school. I also really like the idea of only having 5-period classes even though they are roughly 70 minutes long. That gives us time to finish our work and learn more. I love how we enter school late on Monday’s and how Tuesday-Friday school starts at eight, meaning we get a little more time to sleep in.”

In conclusion, it will be an exciting year for all new and former Saints. Even though we do not know what to expect, we hope we have a challenging year.