The student news site of Santa Fe South High School

Santa Fe South Express

Prom Tradition

Gema Mora, Reporter

At prom, a prom king, queen, prince and princess may be revealed. These are honorary titles awarded to students elected in a school-wide vote prior to the prom, and seniors are awarded the king and queen titles. Juniors are awarded the prince and princess title. The selection method for a prom court is similar to that of homecoming’s queen, princess, king, and prince. Inclusion in a prom court may be a reflection of popularity of those students elected and their level of participation in school activities, such as clubs or sports. The  prom queen and prom king may be given crowns to wear. Members of the prom court may be given sashes to wear and photographed together.

This year, Santa Fe South has chosen its’ finalist for prom court prior to prom. All students had the opportunity to vote during lunch last week to pick the top two for king, queen, prince, and princess. However, students attending prom will get to vote one last time for their king, queen, prince and princess. The nominee finalists are Moises Robles, Duan Olvera, Emily Smith, Taquisha Robles, Hector Sanchez, Leobardo Zuniga, Yarency Gonzalez, and Zalma Diaz. Below, each nominee made a statement of why they want to be prom king, queen, prince, and princess.

Finalist nominees King

Moises Robles said, “My team wanted me too.”

Duan Olvera stated, “I wanted to be Prom King because it was a joke that’s becoming a reality.”

Finalist nominees Queen

Emily Smith said, “Personally, I don’t want to say I deserve it because of all the work and involvement I’ve done, I did it because I wanted to. I just see Prom Queen as a way of my peers saying they recognize the work I do and think it’s worthy of such a thing.”

Taquisha Robles stated, “I want to be Prom Queen of 2017 because I have been a student at Santa Fe South since fifth grade and demonstrated leadership and pride of this school.”

Finalist nominees Prince

Hector Sanchez said, “I want to be Prom Prince, because it is a fun experience that not everyone gets to have. I feel so honored, grateful, and deeply humbled to be going to prom as little old me, let alone as a nominee. So take a chance on me and VOTE FOR HECTOR <3.”

Leobardo Zuniga stated, “I want to be prom prince because it would be a huge honor, not everyone gets to be prom prince let alone a nominee. I am one of the lucky two and I hope you all choose me to be your Prom Prince.”

Finalist nominees Princess

Yarency Gonzalez said, “I want to be Prom Princess because not only is it a huge honor, but for me it is one of the things in life that you can look back at and be proud of.”

Zalma Diaz stated, “I want to be Prom Princess because it was a great honor to be chosen to campaign to be princess and would be a good honor earn that crown.”

We wish all nominees the best of luck!