The student news site of Santa Fe South High School

Santa Fe South Express

Farewell Coach Hutch

Emily Garcia, Sports Reporter

Ten years ago Coach Hutch (John Hutchinson) began his coaching career. Ever since he was in high school, he wanted to be a coach because of how much he loved the game of basketball. He ended up going  into a different direction, but thanks to Mr. Brewster, he gave Hutchinson a chance to get involved in coaching. When he first started the job he said, “I felt younger, slimmer, and much more energetic!” Even if he isn’t the same he was ten years ago, he has built the basketball team and has been through some of the best and worst times.  

He not only enjoys teaching his players how to play the game but also wants to teach them how to be young men on and off the court. Coach Hutch states, “Beyond the wins and losses, the kind of men these guys turn out to be is much more important to me than the game itself.” He tries to make his boys tough. For example, he wants them to be dedicated and go as hard as they can in each practice. He also said, “I feel blessed by God to have been able to be a small part of the lives of these guys.” But what Coach Hutch may not realize is that the players that he has trained all have immense respect for him.

Hutch is on to his next journey in life. He will be able to be more closer to his family and play basketball with his young-ins during the winter. Although he will be missing his relationships with his co-workers that are more like friends to him, his team, and lastly being able to wear warm-ups everyday. Coach Hutch mentioned, “I am genuinely thankful to the many teachers and administrators who have been supportive of these athletes by pushing them in the classroom, working with them to achieve success, but also by investing in their lives by showing up and supporting them at games.  THANK YOU.”

The newspaper wishes you and you family the best and remember “Once a Saint, always a Saint.” You will be missed not just as a coach, teacher, but as a wonderful individual you are.