The student news site of Santa Fe South High School

Santa Fe South Express

• First Day of School: August 10th, 2017

• Back to School Bash: August 8th, 2017

Senior Night Basketball and Cheer

Alejandra Andrade, Sports Reporter

On February 16th, 2017, the Santa Fe South Seniors played on their home court for the last time. At the game, 21 seniors were presented from the girls’ and boys’ basketball team along with the cheerleaders. They played against Seeworth and made their last home game one to remember. The basketball program has moved up to the 5a division. With them moving up, it meant they would play bigger teams that were just as talented. When it came to this game, everyone wanted to win for the seniors. In both the girls’ and boys’ game, all the seniors got to start the game and in the end the scores were very close.

In the girls game, seniors Klara Ochoa, Yamonty Smith, Taquisha Robles, and Andrea Morales all got the opportunity to make their last game count. Throughout the game, substitutions were made to give some of the girls rest. The game was really intense since they were head to head, SFS would lead one half and the other half Seeworth would lead. At the end, the SFS girls came through with a shot to win the game. The final score of the game was 45-44. The underclassmen are glad they got the win for their beloved seniors.

The boys’ game was similar to the girls. The seniors, David Castillo, Cesar Gallegos, Jake Gonzales, Cisco Hernandez, Donovan Hernandez, Baltasar Ponce, and Bryan Valdez were all able to play in the game. The game was also one to remember, not only because it kept the crowd on their feet, but also due to the fact that this game would be Coach Hutch’s last home game. The boys’ kept up the score by a couple of points, but Seeworth was slowly trailing behind SFS. At the end, SFS boys’ came through and beat Seeworth 78-74. The boys are glad that they not only got the win for the seniors but also sent Coach Hutch off with a win for his final home game. We wish best of luck to both teams as they play in Regionals!

Along with the basketball team, there were eight seniors on the cheer squad that performed their last half time show. The seniors are Emily Smith, Itzel Rodriguez, Daisy Moreno, Arisa Franco, Irayza Zapata, Jackie Guzman, Dalilah Carmona, and Edwin Meneses. They have supported the basketball team since the beginning of the season. We’d like to thank them for cheering on our fellow Saints.