The student news site of Santa Fe South High School

Santa Fe South Express

You’re Never Alone

Amanda Blount, Reporter/Editor

Mental disorders… this can be a very sensitive topic, but one that needs to be addressed everywhere, properly as you never know what someone has been through or is going through. Sometimes people feel uncomfortable with this topic, but I can speak from personal experience. You hear it mentioned or discussed and if you’re lucky you never have to experience it. Sadly, it has become a more common thing among teenagers that is still looked upon by some. Some say it’s not “normal” or “a disease”, but it is never the person’s fault. Everyone reacts differently to different situations and that’s okay because all of us we’re raised differently and the wiring in the brain can differentiate from person to person. The wiring can even change due to certain experiences. People may think taking medicine to be happy or what society deems “normal” is bad, but in reality it’s really not.

People may suffer from one or multiple disorders, but this does not make them different or weird. Personally, I suffer from depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). I know friends that suffer from the same problems, but it doesn’t change who you are. Fighting these mental problems can be a daily struggle that can get harder and harder to fight sometimes, but you’re never alone. Some people don’t want to open up to therapists or counselors and that’s okay, but it’s best to talk to someone whether it be a friend or family member. Bottling up feelings tends to get worse over time until you finally explode, so talking to someone can be very important. It’s also important to talk to doctors so that you can receive the proper treatment. I have had my experience with all of this and have watched some of my closest friends go through the same.

Always know someone cares about and loves you, whether it be a friend, family member, teacher, etc. If you feel like nobody will listen, come talk to me. Everyone needs to feel loved and deserves happiness. Let’s express our love towards those we care about before it’s to late because sometimes mental disorders get too severe and they may commit suicide. This is another topic close to me for many reasons. Let’s help one another, instead of putting each other down. You never know the daily battles on faces. Always know you are loved, cherished, and wanted by someone because we all deserve the best in life. Stay positive and never give in.